Battles in Italy Mega-Campaign: On to Rome

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Battles in Italy Mega-Campaign: On to Rome

Postby JSS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:29 am

Attached below is a pre-release copy of On to Rome! The 80 turn campaign that starts with the Operation Husky invasion and continues thru amphibious invasion of the Italian mainland.

Install the zipped files to .../scenarios/Battles in Italy/On to Rome/

Here is a quick recap of how the campaign plays:

=> Aside from the Opn Husky invasion forces and initial Sicily defense positions,
both sides are reasonably free to conduct the campaign within the scenario limits.

=> AI opponent is included. It has not been fully tested yet. Thru turn 5 it
appears to be working properly. Recommend playing verus German AI.

=> Key features of the campaign:

1. XXX (Br) Corps (HQs, 50 ID, & 51 ID) cannot invade the Italian mainland due to Overlord requirements. Same goes for II (US) Corps (HQs, 2 AD, 1 ID, & 9 ID) and a number of naval units. These units (along with Patton’s Seventh Army HQs) remain at Sicily… they remain available for island defense and any necessary mopping up operations.

2. Numerous landing options are available to the Allied player after the initial Husky forces land. This includes both around the island and onto the mainland. Palermo is critical for American follow on amphibious operations. Messina is important (but not invasion stopping) for the BC. Invasion of the mainland can take place very early but is likely to end in disaster. All plains/towns along the Italian mainland can be invasion landing sites.

3. Mainland defenders are in reserve until turn 36. Earliest time for full scale invasion is probably turn 35.

4. Active Axis units can freely move back and forth thru Messina starting turn 4. Initially two fallshirmjager regiments, XIV Pz Korps HQs, 16 Pz Div, and a Flak brigade are available to reinforce the Sicily island defense.

5. Attacking near Rome is likely to bring the II SS Pz Korps into action.

6. Invasion planning must be done in advance by the Allied player. Forces must be placed in Palermo, Messina, Catania, Syracuse, or the Tunisia/Malta ports on the turn prior to amphibious transports being available. Transports become available to the US forces on turn 25 and the BC on turn 27. Around turn 34 the sealift assets are concentrated and a large invasion force can be assembled (may take several turns of placing units in amphibious mode awaiting the invasion order).

7. While any plains hex can serve as an invasion site, there are a limited
number of supply sources on the Italian mainland.

a. These supply sources can be used by the Allies from turn 25 on. The limited availability of these supply sources is one of two limiting features to the campaign…

b. The other limiting feature is the fact that there are only six supply units available to move to the Italian mainland (Fifth US Army HQs, US Provisional Corps, VI US Corps, Eighth BR Army HQs, XIII BR Corps, and X BR Corps). Half of these are subject to being lost during the Sicilian Campaign…if they are destroyed, they are not replaced!

8. There are a limited number of full replacements available to each side. Allied units have a significantly larger number of timed (auto-repair) replacements available than German units.

9. Around 1 September 1943 Italian supply drops off severely (approximate timing of historical Italian surrender).

Enjoy! Please post comments and observations for improvement in this thread.

JSS
Attachments
On_to_Rome_25Nov05.zip
(91.51 KiB) Downloaded 975 times
Last edited by JSS on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:04 am

Marty,

Thanks for your time in making a scenario like this!

Just downloaded it and extracted under the "scenarios" folder. I can select the scenario to either play or edit, but, under both conditions I get kicked back to the BiI main screen.

I'm not up to speed on which files are necessary, but, comparing to MacArthur BiI variant which works, I see there is no ScenarioPicts.xcr in the On To Rome folder. Is this file needed?

Thanks again, can't wait to try it out!

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:14 am

stevel40831 wrote:Marty,

Thanks for your time in making a scenario like this!

Just downloaded it and extracted under the "scenarios" folder. I can select the scenario to either play or edit, but, under both conditions I get kicked back to the BiI main screen.

I'm not up to speed on which files are necessary, but, comparing to MacArthur BiI variant which works, I see there is no ScenarioPicts.xcr in the On To Rome folder. Is this file needed?

Thanks again, can't wait to try it out!

Steve,

This is a scenario of Battles in Italy (not its own battle like MacArthur)... extract a step lower (under Battles in Italy). You're using the main Battles in Italy scenariopicts.xcr.

Extract to:

.../Scenarios/Battles in Italy/On to Rome/

It should show up at the same level as OPN Husky, OPN Avalanche, & OPN Shingle when you select a scenario.

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:21 am

:oops: Yes, that did the trick! Thanks.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:01 am

This scenario has now been properly packaged and is available for download from the main SSG scenario page:

http://www.ssg.com.au/Run5/scenarios/OnToRome.htm

Thanks JSS for bringing this one to us!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pete AU » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Good work.

I'm looking forward to playing this one.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:38 am

Have been playing around with this over the weekend, trying to learn the new naval routines, invasions, etc. I'm currently on turn 21 and I believe the naval lanes for U.S. ships should have opened up but I am unable to continue movement from the west side of the island around to the northern coast. (I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have to the turn it changes so maybe they're supposed to be closed still?). The British navy lanes expanded as scheduled and they are able to roam all over the Italian coast at will.

When viewing the U.S. naval units many of them have large movement factors and the others have zero movement factors. Is this intentional?

Great fun clobbering the AI as you learn the new scenario! Due to foolish AI attacks and not being concerned about supplies, the island was completely captured by turn 15 or so. The wide open landing options really change the way the Axis side defends, very cool!

Steve
Last edited by stevel40831 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:35 am

This looks excellent - great stuff JSS.

Noakesy
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:25 am

stevel40831 wrote:Have been playing around with this over the weekend, trying to learn the new naval routines, invasions, etc. I'm currently on turn 21 and I believe the naval lanes for U.S. ships should have opened up but I am unable to continue movement from the west side of the island around to the northern coast. (I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have to the turn it changes so maybe they're supposed to be closed still?). The British navy lanes expanded as scheduled and they are able to roam all over the Italian coast at will.

When viewing the U.S. naval units many of them have large movement factors and the others have zero movement factors. Is this intentional?

Great fun clobbering the AI as you learn the new scenario! Due to foolish attacks and not being concerned about supplies, the island was completely captured by turn 15 or so. The wide open landing options really change the way the Axis side defends, very cool!

Steve

Will look at what's happening with the US Navy.

Sounds like the evolving US units (they should go far and wide like the BC) are not placed in the correct naval lane. The one's you see with movement are probably the one's that don't evolve (i.e. units essentially reserved for Overlord action and not part of the mainland invasion).

Thanks!

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Testing - Allies vs. Ralph t07 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby stevel40831 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:03 am

JSS wrote:Will look at what's happening with the US Navy.

Sounds like the evolving US units (they should go far and wide like the BC) are not placed in the correct naval lane. The one's you see with movement are probably the one's that don't evolve (i.e. units essentially reserved for Overlord action and not part of the mainland invasion).

Thanks!

JSS

While you're looking at that... I just made it to the turn where the U.S. sea lift capacity begins. I can put the units in "sea-mode", but, cannot seem to go anywhere interesting with them.

For example, 3 units that embarked at Palermo can only move west and points south, they cannot move east or north towards Italy. Also, I embarked 3 units at Messina and they can only move one hex. They have a movement factor of 90 but cannot go anywhere. Both examples are U.S. units as the Brits have no sea lift capacity yet.

(Not sure if it matters, but, the units I was trying to sealift were the 82nd Airborne and the 3rd Inf Div.)

Thanks!

Steve

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:08 am

stevel40831 wrote:
While you're looking at that... I just made it to the turn where the U.S. sea lift capacity begins. I can put the units in "sea-mode", but, cannot seem to go anywhere interesting with them.

For example, 3 units that embarked at Palermo can only move west and points south, they cannot move east or north towards Italy. Also, I embarked 3 units at Messina and they can only move one hex. They have a movement factor of 90 but cannot go anywhere. Both examples are U.S. units as the Brits have no sea lift capacity yet.

(Not sure if it matters, but, the units I was trying to sealift were the 82nd Airborne and the 3rd Inf Div.)

Thanks!

Steve

Ok, this sounds like the multiple sea lanes in one embarkation hex issue. Its a concern for WiE and Pete AU has encountered this also IIRC. Bottom line is that the unit can only embark into 1 sea lane... unfortunately you don't get to pick which one! Think you get put into the lowest number sea lane of the multiple choices.

So what has to be done is to have a specific embarkation hex(es) that will put you into invade Italy mode and not back into the invade Sicily lanes. Which you may want to do also... so the two have to be clearly defined.

JSS
Last edited by JSS on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current PBEM Games
1. Testing - Allies vs. Ralph t07 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:41 am

Answers to Steve's observations:

1. Salerno and Anzio can still be invaded by the US in v1.00. What must be done is embark the US units in the following cities: Patti and/or San Agata (along the North coast headed to Messina). These are places on the outflank the German defenders sealane area... once cleared they can be used in reverse to launch the Salerno or Anzio invasion force.

This will be corrected in v1.01 by having the US invasion forces embark in Bagheria and the US outflank the German Sicily defenders embark in Termini or Cefalu.

2. It is correct for the US to be able to move from Messina to North of Reggio.

3. There are 19 hexes where the initial US Navy sea lanes and expanded US Navy sealanes do not overlap in v1.00 (fixed for upcoming v1.01). Work around in v1.00 is to not leave the US Navy units in one of the 19 hexes on the turn before it evolves into the expanded range naval unit. You can tell if the hex is ok by right clicking it and look for both sealanes 3 & 5. If the hex doesn't have a 5 indicator its one of the 19 hexes to avoid.

Here's the list:
(27,141) (33,146) (34,146) (35,147) (36,148)
(37,149) (38,149) (39,150) (40,150) (41,151)
(42,151) (43,152) (44,152) (45,153) (46,153)
(59,160) (60,160) (61,161) (79,172)
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:09 am

I like the features added to recon units in BiN and carried over to BiI. That is, they can see further than other units and they can move a great distance.

However, there is a flaw. They can move through a gap, move many kilometres behind the lines and attack supply and arty units. To me this is a spoiler and very gamey.

The solution is that the recon units have a relatively high value and have very weak attack and defence values. And then players would use them for their intended purpose and protect them from destruction.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:09 am

Yep the multi sealane is an issue.. I resolved this in WiE by only having one sealane for each side where sealanes overlap IIRC.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby stevel40831 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:35 am

Joe wrote:I like the features added to recon units in BiN and carried over to BiI. That is, they can see further than other units and they can move a great distance.

However, there is a flaw. They can move through a gap, move many kilometres behind the lines and attack supply and arty units. To me this is a spoiler and very gamey.

The solution is that the recon units have a relatively high value and have very weak attack and defence values. And then players would use them for their intended purpose and protect them from destruction.

Rob... can this be moved to an appropriate area? I'd like to comment on it but not here in the "On To Rome" thread. Thanks!

stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion